Area rug enhances the beauty of the room. It encloses the room together. There are plenty of varieties available. They are made from natural or manmade fiber as – wool, nylon, grass, sisal, coir etc. They are handmade, hand knotted or machine made. They can be expensive. Regular cleaning is important to keep it tidy. Rugs and carpets attract dust particles easily. It is essential to remove the spills and stains to save the rug from permanent damage. For the major damage the professional services are taken. With the regular rug care such damages can be controlled.
Follow the mentioned below steps for the regular rug cleaning:
- Vacuum cleaning: Use vacuum cleaner to clean the rug. Reverse the rug and vacuum it. Do not use the vacuum cleaner on the fringes as they are delicate and easily ripped.Vacuuming the back of the rug with the help of beater bar or the rotating brush helps to push the dirt trapped down and it moves towards the top of the rug. Now use the cleaner on the right side and vacuum the dust and dirt. For the woollen rugs use the suction where as for the nylon rugs the rotating brush is used at both ends.
- Jiggle the small area rugs: If the rug can be easily lifted then take it outdoors are shake it vigorously so that the trapped dirt can come out. You can also beat it on the reverse side.
- Brush the rug: Use the stiff brush on the front of the area rug to remove the pet hairs and the particles that vacuum cannot catch. Brush it after using the vacuum cleaner on the rug.
- Rotate the placed rug: The wear and tear of the rug can be controlled by regularly rotating the rug placed on the floor. It depends on the footfall. The traffic pattern leaves permanent marks. If the furniture is placed on the rug, it can leave the impressions. This is prevented by regular rotation of the furniture placed on the rug.
- Roll the rugs for shifting and storage. It is easy to move the rug when it is rolled..This prevents forming of crease or break down. Roll the rug when it is stored. If the rug is transported from one place to another such as for dry cleaning then roll it.
- Power clean the rug: the Use of powder is an easy method to clean the rug. You can use the baking soda or the carpet cleaning powder. Sprinkle the powder on the rug for few hours or overnight. Clean the powder with vacuum cleaner. The powder will soften the stains.
- Use of borax: Borax is used on the rug to get rid from insect infestation. Borax has a natural tendency that destroys the larva and eggs breeding on the rug. No babies or pets should be around rug when the borax is applied as it contains toxins. The powder should be left on the rug for 30 mins and then vacuumed.
How to remove the stains from the rug
The best way to keep the rug away from stains is to remove them as soon as possible before they get dry and look ugly. Do not wipe them but use the soaking method. Use a damp cotton towel and soak it away. This will prevent the rug from bleeding. Avoid the rug having direct contact on floor as it can get the stains and colour. Using a wet wipe can help the stain to penetrate deep inside. You can also use the stain removal in form of detergent.
Use one part of vinegar and three parts of water mix and apply on affected area. This helps in stain removal and keeps the rug colour in place. Use the ice cubes on very sticky stains such as gum. Put the ice cubes in a plastic bag and then harden that surface. After that peel the hard coat by a knife or spoon. Clean it from detergent and blot dry.
Use the stain removal methods according to the stains. The mud or simple stain can be treated by the use of bloating and vacuum cleaning. For serious stains that are mild in nature must be treated by using detergents. Ammonia can be used to remove any mild stain from the non wool rug. Never use ammonia or any other harsh acid on the wool rug. This will degrade the wool fibre. It can cause the permanent damage. In such case use the professional’s services.
The stains of coffee, tea, soft drinks or alcohol are removed using the mix of white vinegar, warm water and dish detergent. Apply the mix to the stain area. Rinse it and then blot it. Never rub as it can damage the area. If the stain still persists then use the commercial carpet cleaner. Always air dry the treated area. Do not expose it to the sun.