A rug is a textile floor covering consisting of an upper layer of pile attached to a backing. It is an important piece of item that can help us keep an area clean. Outdoor rugs nowadays have the impressive ability to effectively trap in dirt. Most are a breeze to clean since they are water-proof. Depending on the country it was made in and the materials it was made of, the appearance of a rug greatly varies. Some are printed, some are plain. Some may even mirror the culture of its country origin. The size, as well, can be picked according to your preference. There are one that cover an extensive area, while others are of a standard size.
Rugs are pretty interesting, considering how long we have been using them and how much they have evolved over time. There are a lot of fun and interesting facts about rugs. Here are some of them:
- Most outdoor rugs are made of polypropylene. Polypropylene is an inexpensive material.
- Outdoor rugs that are made from Polypropylene are stain-resistant.
- The commercial rug industry started in England.
- Outdoor rugs are made to resist mildew.
- Rugs are also called carpets.
- Cutting the rug is the slang term for dancing.
- Outdoor rugs are best when you have pets who run across your house, leaving tracks of dirt and mud.
- Patterns can help mask stains. This can be very helpful when you have a dog that often leaves stains.
- Rugs made out of cotton, unlike Polypropylene rugs, are not as durable and they stain easily. They are not water-proof, as well.
- Hand-made rugs, also known as hand-hooked rugs, are the most expensive type. The price ranges $200 – $1,000.
- Hand-made rugs have the widest variety when it comes to designs and patterns.
- Machine-made rugs have intricate designs. They are created using power looms that can simultaneously weave 5 different colours.
- Machine-made rugs are cheaper than hand-made rugs. Its price ranges between $40 to $750, depending on the size.
- Outdoor rugs that are made of jute, which is a natural fibber, is not as mildew – proof as the one made of Polypropylene. However, since it is natural, it also makes a better choice if you have babies around.
Rugs are functional and interesting pieces for your home. They can save you a lot of time and effort cleaning, at the same time, adds color to your space.
No matter how many times you sweep the dirt off the floor, it is as if it never stays clean. It only takes a few hours for you to see another track of dirt (or sand, or mud, or whatever) and it is already driving you mad. An outdoor rug can certainly save your sanity. Its purpose is to trap dirt and moisture so these nasty stuff will not get in your living space, which means less cleaning time, more time to have fun.
There is an endless choice when it comes to rugs, so choose the one that suits you best. Think about what you will be using it for and what you need it for. Are you going to use it outdoor or indoor? Does it have to be lightweight? Do you prefer a stylish rug or would you rather focus on its functionality? Well, here are a few of the choices that you have.
Recycled Plastic Outdoor Rugs
These rugs, as the name says it, are made from recycled plastic. This type of rug is perfect if you are looking for something that is eco-friendly and, at the same time, durable. Moreover, these rugs are completely waterproof, which means they do not absorb water making them fairly easy to clean since you do not need to hang them to dry.
These rugs are made of polypropylene, which is a thermo plastic polymer. Braided rugs are more stylish compared to the others, and has a wide variety of prints and colors to choose from. If you are looking for a rug to add some oomph to your kitchen or even your bedroom, go with this type.
Another stylish bunch! These handmade rugs are especially hand-hooked using synthetic yarns. They are durable as well but may lean more on the aesthetic side. The living room will look better with this. Aside from keeping the area clean, it also gives a cozy and homey feel. It may cost a little more though compared to other types.
If you are looking to get a rug that is functional, durable and at the same time appealing to look at, then a machine-made rug is perfect for you. They look just like hand-made rugs, feel exactly like them too, but not as expensive. Machine-made rugs are far cheaper than hand-made rugs. So, if you would like to cut back on the cost then this type of rug is the one that you should get.
Well, technically, rug pads are not rugs; they are pads — like accessories for your rugs. But they deserve a spot in this list since they are equally important. These pads make your rugs stick to the ground where it should, to prevent accidents caused by rugs slipping. Moreover, they also protect your floor and rugs. Thus, if you going to get yourself a rug, it is best to grab one of these as well.
Those are just a few out of the many choices that you have. Find the one that suits your needs and lifestyle.